Today I’m writing about my uncle. Who was a millionaire… and lived in the same building as Wayne Gretzky back in the 80′s when he played with the Edmonton Oilers.
Probably not next door, but I don’t recall because I’m not a hockey fan. (Although I was good friends at one point with Wayne’s brother – who had club feet as a child and never played hockey. I also partied quite a bit in my younger pre-children days with Grant Fuhr, Dave (cement head) Semenko and some other hockey type people who I also can’t recall but were probably famous at the time).
But I digress.
There are a few things I remember about my uncle (long deceased):
- He didn’t appear to ever work
- He could finish the NYT crossword puzzle very quickly
- He drove Cadillacs
- His condo in Wayne Gretzky’s building had a sauna in it and floor to ceiling windows over 2 floors. OMG, was it something to a kid from butt-**** nowhere.
- He dressed sort of like an oblivious or homeless person
- He lived with his mother until he was maybe 50 years old until she had a stroke in her 90′s
- He was involved with Big Brothers
- He didn’t get married for the first time until he was almost a senior citizen. She was a wonderful, simple woman and she made him happy.
- He built what was at one time the largest waterpark in North America – and a large campground
- He played around in politics behind the scenes
- He made a lot of money in real estate
- He owned a gravel pit
- He was eccentric
- He was very wealthy
He also said “you will never get rich working with these” – looking down at his hands.
I think Uncle Joe was right.